This is one of 3 recipes included in our Seriously Good Freezer Meal Photo Contest.
All 3 recipes are provided from Karrie Truman’s new book Seriously Good Freezer Meals. This book is a unique compilation of 150 family and freezer-friendly recipes and will help busy families save time while getting a home-cooked meal.
“Girl, what have you done?” Those were my husband’s first words after he laid eyes on these tacos the first night I made them. With all their delightful flavors of garlic, lively lemon and dill, I’m certain you too will swoon over these, especially when you realize how fast they are to make!
Makes 6 servings.
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) melted butter
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chicken broth
- Grated zest and juice of 2 large lemons
- 11/2 tsp (7 mL) dried dill
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) minced garlic
- 2 lbs (1 kg) skinless tilapia fillets (about six 6 oz/175 g pieces)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 12 6-inch (15 cm) corn tortillas, warmed
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded lettuce
- 1 cup (250 mL) canned or cooked black beans, drained and rinsed (optional)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) salsa or pico de gallo (optional)
- In a small bowl, whisk together melted butter, chicken broth, lemon zest, lemon juice, dill and garlic.
- Place marinade mixture and tilapia fillets in a gallon-size (4 L) freezer bag or bowl. (Label the bag if freezing for later.) Seal bag, removing as much air as possible, or cover bowl. Transfer to refrigerator to marinate for 15 minutes.
- Make It Now: Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Drizzle olive oil over a rimmed baking sheet. Transfer baking sheet to oven while it preheats. Once oven is preheated, remove baking sheet from oven, add fillets and return it to oven. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until fish is flaky and lightly crisped on the edges. Remove from oven and chop into chunks. Arrange tortillas on a work surface. Evenly divide fish and lettuce, plus beans and salsa (if using), among tortillas. Serve.
- Make It a Freezer Meal: Freeze bag.
- Thaw and Cook: Place bag in the refrigerator for 12 to 24 hours to thaw.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Drizzle olive oil over a rimmed baking sheet. Transfer baking sheet to oven while it preheats.
- Once oven is preheated, remove baking sheet from oven, add fillets and return it to oven. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until fish is flaky and lightly crisped on the edges.
- Remove from oven and chop into chunks. Arrange tortillas on a work surface. Evenly divide fish and lettuce, plus beans and salsa, if using, among tortillas. Serve.
Tip: You can also make a dilly sauce, if desired. In a small saucepan, combine 2 tsp (10 mL) cornstarch and the marinade from the bag. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Build your tacos and then drizzle a little lemon dill sauce overtop.
Recipe provided courtesy of Seriously Good Freezer Meals: 150 Easy Recipes to Save Your Time, Money & Sanity by Karrie Truman © 2017 www.robertrose.ca Available where books are sold.
Top image credit: Charity Burggraaf